In those early days Sani was easily identifiable from afar because of the vultures and Lammergeiers that circled above awaiting their next meal. The Sani Pass was opened in 1948 by an ex Spitfire pilot called Godfrey Edmonds, who on the 26 October 1948, aided by labourers armed with ropes and assorted blocks and tackle, manhandled a war-surplus Jeep up the path in an exercise that took about six hours.